Bitcoin Core 0.20.2
0.20.2 Release Notes
Bitcoin Core version 0.20.2 is now available from:
This minor release includes various bug fixes and performance improvements, as well as updated translations.
Please report bugs using the issue tracker at GitHub:
To receive security and update notifications, please subscribe to:
How to Upgrade
If you are running an older version, shut it down. Wait until it has completely
shut down (which might take a few minutes in some cases), then run the
installer (on Windows) or just copy over
/Applications/Bitcoin-Qt (on Mac)
bitcoin-qt (on Linux).
Upgrading directly from a version of Bitcoin Core that has reached its EOL is possible, but it might take some time if the data directory needs to be migrated. Old wallet versions of Bitcoin Core are generally supported.
Bitcoin Core is supported and extensively tested on operating systems using the Linux kernel, macOS 10.12+, and Windows 7 and newer. Bitcoin Core should also work on most other Unix-like systems but is not as frequently tested on them. It is not recommended to use Bitcoin Core on unsupported systems.
From Bitcoin Core 0.20.0 onwards, macOS versions earlier than 10.12 are no longer supported. Additionally, Bitcoin Core does not yet change appearance when macOS “dark mode” is activated.
The process for generating the source code release (“tarball”) has changed in an effort to make it more complete, however, there are a few regressions in this release:
configurescript is currently missing, and you will need to install autotools and run
./autogen.shbefore you can run
./configure. This is the same as when checking out from git.
Instead of running
makesimply, you should instead run
Changes regarding misbehaving peers
Peers that misbehave (e.g. send us invalid blocks) are now referred to as discouraged nodes in log output, as they’re not (and weren’t) strictly banned: incoming connections are still allowed from them, but they’re preferred for eviction.
Furthermore, a few additional changes are introduced to how discouraged addresses are treated:
Discouraging an address does not time out automatically after 24 hours (or the
-bantimesetting). Depending on traffic from other peers, discouragement may time out at an indeterminate time.
Discouragement is not persisted over restarts.
There is no method to list discouraged addresses. They are not returned by the
listbannedRPC. That RPC also no longer reports the
"manually added"is the only remaining option.
Discouragement cannot be removed with the
setban removeRPC command. If you need to remove a discouragement, you can remove all discouragements by stop-starting your node.
-walletnotify notifications are now sent for wallet transactions that are
removed from the mempool because they conflict with a new block. These
notifications were sent previously before the v0.19 release, but had been
broken since that release (bug #18325).
PSBTs will contain both the non-witness utxo and the witness utxo for segwit inputs in order to restore compatibility with wallet software that are now requiring the full previous transaction for segwit inputs. The witness utxo is still provided to maintain compatibility with software which relied on its existence to determine whether an input was segwit.
0.20.2 change log
P2P protocol and network code
- #19620 Add txids with non-standard inputs to reject filter (sdaftuar)
- #20146 Send post-verack handshake messages at most once (MarcoFalke)
- #19740 Simplify and fix CWallet::SignTransaction (achow101)
RPC and other APIs
- #19836 Properly deserialize txs with witness before signing (MarcoFalke)
- #20731 Add missing description of vout in getrawtransaction help text (benthecarman)
- #20142 build: set minimum required Boost to 1.48.0 (fanquake)
- #20298 use the new plistlib API (jonasschnelli)
- #20880 gitian: Use custom MacOS code signing tool (achow101)
- #22190 Use latest signapple commit (achow101)
Tests and QA
- #19839 Set appveyor vm version to previous Visual Studio 2019 release. (sipsorcery)
- #19842 Update the vcpkg checkout commit ID in appveyor config. (sipsorcery)
- #20562 Test that a fully signed tx given to signrawtx is unchanged (achow101)
- #19192 Extract net permissions doc (MarcoFalke)
- #19777 Correct description for getblockstats’s txs field (shesek)
- #20080 Strip any trailing / in -datadir and -blocksdir paths (hebasto)
- #20082 fixes read buffer to use min rather than max (EthanHeilman)
- #20141 Avoid the use of abs64 in timedata (sipa)
- #20756 Add missing field (permissions) to the getpeerinfo help (amitiuttarwar)
- #20861 BIP 350: Implement Bech32m and use it for v1+ segwit addresses (sipa)
- #22124 Update translations after closing 0.20.x on Transifex (hebasto)
- #21471 fix bech32_encode calls in gen_key_io_test_vectors.py (sipa)
- #22837 mention bech32m/BIP350 in doc/descriptors.md (sipa)
Thanks to everyone who directly contributed to this release:
- Aaron Clauson
- Amiti Uttarwar
- Andrew Chow
- Ethan Heilman
- Hennadii Stepanov
- Jonas Schnelli
- Nadav Ivgi
- Pieter Wuille
- Suhas Daftuar
As well as to everyone that helped with translations on Transifex.