IRC meeting summary for 2016-09-15
Notes / short topics
- The end-of-life “EOL” date for version 0.11 on the lifecycle page should be set. The maintenance date doesn’t reflect reality as backports to previous versions see no usage and get no review, thus developers have focused on current versions. Sipa tosses the idea of automatically showing a warning message X months after being released to warn users the version is no longer maintained.
- Monday and Tuesday 10 & 11th October after the Scaling Bitcoin conference there’s two hack-days for those who want to productively contribute to Bitcoin Core and highly related projects.
- Wumpus has proposed a release schedule for 0.14. Everyone seems fine with it.
- 0.13.1 release
Bitcoin Core 0.13.0 is released on 2016/08/23. The next point release 0.13.1 will probably include the segregated witness softfork activation logic, among other bugfixes and optimizations.
As there as still quite a few PRs open tagged for 0.13.1 sdaftuar proposes to drop some of them from the milestones, like #8654 (Reuse sighash computations across evaluation). PR #8635 is also not essential for 0.13.1. Luke-jr commented on a few merged fixes that they should be backported. PR #8636 (NULLDUMMY softfork BIP147) is ready to be merged. Some discussion ensues again whether the NULDUMMY softfork should be bundled with the segwit softfork.
Sdaftuar is rewriting the tests for compact blocks with segwit. More segwit traffic on testnet would make live testing more useful. Roasbeef is working on producing a buch of segwit transactions, after the meeting he said it would help if we could get more segwit enabled hashpower on testnet and get those currently mining to limit by max weight instead of stripped size.
- Drop PR #8635 from the 0.13.1 milestones
- Review/ACK PRs #8634 (Add policy: null signature for failed CHECK(MULTI)SIG), #8499 (Check bad witness and implement several policy limits for segwit scripts), #8526 (Make non-minimal OP_IF/NOTIF argument non-standard for P2WSH) and #8393 (Support for compact blocks together with segwit)
|wumpus||Wladimir van der Laan|
This summary was compiled without input from any of the participants in the discussion, so any errors are the fault of the summary author and not the discussion participants.